Wednesday, October 2, 2013

"Your heart, the perfect place for Jesus to be"----Coal Mountain Baptist Church

Hey Everyone! 

Happy Halloween!!
I hope you all had a wonderful week. I am learning a lot out here in the rolling green hills of Georgia, like seriously a lot. The people we find here are real gems. Some are a little rough around the edges, but I really wouldn't have it any other way. One thing I've learned in particular this week is that God knows our abilities, and He knows our limits. Thankfully! He puts us in situations when we get to be stretched, often times every so uncomfortably, and yet by the end we see the growth and changes. Its a pretty amazingly frustrating process that delivers amazing results. :) And that's what I think of that. 



Our work in Coal Mountain is progressing ever so slowly, but its coming along. Sister Alder and I are making the best of it and it seems when we reach our limit and can't go further our loving Father in Heaven blesses us with a miracle that gives us enough boost to go on. Like I said.. Thank goodness He knows our limits! We still don't have really anyone we are teaching seriously but we are working a lot with the Williams, which is a blessing. 

The people here in this area are hilarious and often feisty. Its an entertaining combination that's for sure. But every so often we find some of the kindest people to ever walk the planet. We get a lot of "No thank yous" and "Oh aren't you just the sweetest things, unfortunately I'm baptist." <---what does that even mean?? haha Honestly, I think the craziest response that I am SHOCKED we get multiple times a week goes something like "Ya.. um.. You're going to want to go to the next house.."<--YES SIR/MA'AM!

Our new cat friend.
But here's the miracle. We had already knocked on well over 300 doors talked to well over 150 people for the week, and none of them, and I do mean none of them were interested in learning more. We told this woman at the door that we had a message about how the Book of Mormon could bring her family closer together. She smiles and says "Well then I guess I better sit down and hear about it. Why don't y'all come on in?" I had to pick up my jaw from my ground.. :) Amy asked us to answer her question of "What makes Mormons different?" So we told her about the Book of Mormon and living Prophets who have the priesthood. Her husband then came home and guess what happened? 

Amy said, "I'm going to tell him everything you told me to make sure I got it right." And then she went on to teach him about the Book of Mormon and Prophets. How amazing is that!? Her eyes were glued to the Book of Mormon, reading passages from it and looking at the pictures in it as we talked to her husband. I don't know if they will ever let us come back, I don't know if they will read the Book of Mormon, but I know that meeting Amy and Neil was a personal message to Sister Alder and I from a loving Father who wanted us to know that what we do all day everyday has meaning. And that He loves us and is thankful of the work that we do. 

Jewells Way!
Another miracle was in trying to locate some of the members who haven't been coming to church for a long time and the bishop said to simply find out their story. We stop by so many of them, but they either aren't home.. or are and won't answer the door. We decided to try this one, Brother Zorn. He lives so much in the country that our GPS cannot locate his home. But we were able to find it! :) Woot woot! So we are driving down this gravel road when all of a sudden we see signs.. "No Trespassing" "Private Property" and the classy "Do not come unless invited" Well you see.. it was a very narrow road and we couldn't turn around unless Sis Alder backed up the car so we just went for it anyways. He was SO excited to see us. He said "No one in the church has even tried to stop by in 4 years. I didn't know they had sister missionaries." He said he wants us to start coming over and sharing messages about Jesus Christ because he is now raising his 5 yr old grandson and he wants him to have religion. We learned he read the Book of Mormon during his divorce and it was the only thing that seemed to help him. And he said he wanted home teachers. It was such a miracle! So we are going to start seeing him and his grandson once a week and hopefully we can get them to start coming to church soon. What a blessing! 

Two more crazy stories of the week. #1. I met mom's match for decorating. This woman, Sister Dunford, had more Halloween decorations than I have ever seen. It was crazy! #2. There was this cat that found us while we were tracting.. and it thinks its a dog I swear. And it followed us around for a long time, ending up well over a mile from its house. And sister Alder loves cats so.. that's what one of the pictures are of. haha 

Lastly, I loved the Relief Society Broadcast! It was amazing! We watched it at the stake center and sat next to Sister Aeschbacher, she reminds me a lot of you mom. Her daughter is on a mission too so she's our adopted mom here. But I just wanted you (mom) to know that I love you and felt like I got to sit next to you and watch that great meeting and learn about how we can be better covenant keepers. It was a tender mercy. I love you mom. 

Well I think that's about all I have for you! I hope you have a wonderful week! I love you lots!

Love,
Sister Hamilton

No comments:

Post a Comment