Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Another week flies by.. How is it 8 months already!?

Hey Everyone, 

I don't have much time to write so I'll have to make this short.. but then again I think I say that every week yet I still seem to write a bunch.. haha so who knows. 

The week has been pretty good. The weather has been nice, got me some new freckles :) Not too many crazy animal stories.. Why? Oh.. because I'm starting to realize seeing snakes and having dogs just walk with us and horses are going to be very regular occurrences.. :) 

We've had a good week as far as getting the ward involved and starting to find some people to teach. Its amazing what the power of prayer and obedience can do. And thank you for praying for the people in this area, it really does help! 

Honestly.. I don't know which stories to share.. Should I tell you about the woman who SLAMMED the door in our face and then came running down the driveway toward us (for real) to apologize and thank us for our testimony of Christ? Or about the 5 dozen cookies we baked to be boxed and shipped off to people serving in the Military? About sweet Anna who barely speaks English but asked us to keep reading from the Book of Mormon and come back because it made her feel peace? How about this sweet family who let us come in and share a message and talk about the Savior--and how their 13 year old special needs son called us princesses because of our skirts, gave us hugs, and told us how much he loved Jesus too? 

I have so many little stories from the week, so many experiences that make my mission worth it. But I think instead of going into detail about those experiences I want to share an insight that I gained from the Scriptures this week. 

I started the Book of Mormon again which is kind of crazy because now I am reading it in two places. But hey! its a great book, what can I say? Well I decided to go through and look for applications to my life and the lives of those I teach in each verse. And so.. I want to share something that I found that meant a lot to me.. 

I think about the Prophet Joseph Smith a lot. I have so much love and respect for him. I also have so much respect for his brother Hyrum. They were willing to die for the gospel, and so we need to be willing to live for it. 

Anyways, so I was reading 1 Nephi 2:16-17 and how Nephi gets his confirmation or testimony of the truths that his father had spoken. How often we think of being Nephi's and gaining a testimony for ourselves through prayer and scripture study, while I think we sometimes need to start focusing on being more like Sam, and believing on the words or testimonies of those whom we love, respect, and admire. Please do not misunderstand.. I am not saying that it is not important for us to gain our own witness of the gospel. It is vitally important that we do that.. But I also think it is important to that we allow the testimonies of others to help us gain one of our own. 

Now... Go back and reread 1 Nephi 2:16-17 and insert Joseph for Nephi. Its amazing that it almost tells the story of the first vision right there.. Now replace Sam for Hyrum. 

That definitely hit me strong this past week as I wondered which role I am in now.. am I a Nephi and Joseph? or a Sam and Hyrum. Either are great people to be if you ask me! And right now I'm trying to find people who are willing to be Sam and Hyrum and believe on the words I teach, and then act as Nephi and Joseph and learn for themselves the truthfulness of the gospel.

With General Conference around the corner I would encourage you to be more like Sam and Hyrum and allow the testimonies and truths taught by Gods Apostles here on earth touch your heart and believe on their words. 

You might ask why this is on my mind.. The specific experience doesn't matter.. But I want you all to know that it no matter what is said to me, shown to me, and yelled at me.. I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. It was translated by Joseph Smith, a prophet and seer in these days. I know Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon so that we all could come closer to our wonderful Savior and Brother Jesus Christ. I am thankful that the Spirit of God will come to any missionaries aid when they start testifying of the glorious restoration of Christ's Gospel. That Spirit cannot be argued with, for it touches our hearts forever. 

I am thankful to be a missionary and thankful for our loving God and Heavenly Father. 

I love you.
Love, 

Sister Hamilton

No comments:

Post a Comment